Not that I need to justify my picks for the #bookbucketchallenge buuuuuuut…
I recently was able to finish the Fifty Shades Trilogy by EL James. Yay me! Haha So there, prolly the reason why it suddenly popped out while thinking about the books of the challenge. #bestinexplain
Fifty Shades is mainly a sex-obsessed couple. Period. Fine, there were other stuff too but hey, tell me someone who picked up the first book for the reason that he/she was curious about the purported steamy scenes between the Anastasia Steele and Christian Grey. *eyeroll*
Since we’re now in the subject of the trilogy, imma say that I actually liked the book. Not just about the obvious but because of a bunch of things. Actually, I’m half-and-half with regard to the books. I liked it but I did not like it. (spoiler alert!)
1. Characters. There was nice character development. Anastasia Steele goes from a shy virgin to this swimsuit-top-removing-wife of a multi-millionaire while Christian Grey goes from a controlling sex-obsessed dominant to a doting father! The minor characters aren’t bad too. Although you can classify them into four: they’re either rich, blond, working class or dropping their jaws at the sight of Christian Grey.
2. Non-verbal. Eyerolls, sighs, grunts, facial expressions. Di na kelangan ng words. A buntong-hininga can say it all. Medyo annoying nga lang at some parts. *eyeroll*
3. Story progression. The first book, Fifty…Grey had a sloooooow story progression. It was like sex sex sex and no substance. Prolly the reason why a lot of critics boo-ed it. The second one, Fifty…Darker on the other hand had a nice flow. One pasabog after another and no it’s a figurative pasabog and not the one you are thinking of, you dirty perv! Lastly, the third, Fifty… Freed was too rushed. Parts of the book were slow and parts were whada-eff whatsgoingon-inducing due to the twists that it delivered. Book three also felt like a sort of book made just to meet a deadline.
4. They’re super rich! Like hello, what is properties all over the world and uber expensive stuff. One could just dream about it and smile. But no, the b*tch that is reality pops your bubble and slaps you with the reality that you have to work your butts off just to even afford an eensy fraction of what they have. Dammit.
5. They’re making it into a movie! This one, I’m a hundred percent sure that they wwould not be true to the book which I’m fine with since we wouldn’t want to risk the kids seeing R18 suff when we aren’t looking. Not that they don’t already but hey one less from the multitudes is highly appreciated. As for the actors, I’m kind of disappointed about the casting. They couldn’t quite meet the look of characters that were formed from my mind. I’m sure a lot of people would agree with me on this. But then, let us give them the benefit of the doubt and judge for ourselves come February 2015. Lol
So there, rambles from me haha!
Life lessons derived from the book: background checks are important when hiring people; bladder should be full; rich does not equate to laziness, one should still work so as not to be a burden to society; and each person, no matter how flawed one may feel or seem to be, can change if one wills it and deserves to love and be loved in return.
I think i’ve seen this movie sometime in between summer and the start of monsoon season. hehe
About Time starring Rachel McAdams and Domhall Gleeson is about a man who has the ability to travel back in time. Ooooooooh.
Well, as soon as I’ve heard about it, I got my hopes up because hello, time travel. Buuuuut, it wasn’t the action-packed adventure-filled time travel movie that i expected because hello, romantic themed movie. I did however appreciate the movie and all the life lessons that it’s supposed to impart. And oh, that red wedding dress! Award. hehe
It’s just for the past few days that I am remembering one of the oft repeated lessons from the movie: to live each day as it is, no do overs.
In the movie, Gleeson’s character got addicted to time travel and kept on doing over stuff that he thought was unperfect. It was just during one specific moment in his family’s life that finally changes his mind. Later on, he practically neglects and not use his ability altogether.
Too many times, I wished to have a Hermione’s Time-Turner and do over a moment. Too many times, I stop and think about what could’ve happened if i had the ability to go back and rewrite history. But I am just an ordinary human so I’m just going to catch the lemons that life throws at me and make some lemonade. I just have to constantly remind myself that yes bad things or inopportune things will eventually happen and that my perfect day will stop being one before 9 am. Lemon meringue pies will be a coping mechanism for the painful lemons and the speedbumps that caused the lemons to be thrown at me.
Living each day with all the icings and bugok na itlogs that you come across remains the most effective way to go. It’s a surefire way for you to develop your sense of appreciation. Because after all, we get to appreciate and value more the good things that come our way if not for the help of the less than nice ones, right? And yep, I (and you too!) have to be reminded of that.
Peace and love!
for the RCA, any child who missed the vaccination will be mopped up by a vaccination team to ensure that the target population especially in pre-identified high risk areas will be met. in effect, a 100% (or more) score will be a contributing factor in the prevention of a future outbreak of measles.
This is just a post in which i will brag. No biggie.
Finish Zombie Tsunami. Check!
because ya, i helped zombies eat a bunch of humans. hehe